On Debian and Fedora experiences

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 09:49:38 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta scripst:
> If you want to point out a very specific detailed example that makes
> sense, please by all mean do so.  My concern is making sure the people
> who are talking about implementing it here, do so with appropriate
> examples that make sense.  The aalib example, which dominated much of
> the early motiviation in discussing Suggests/Recommends in this
> thread... is completely and utterly without merit... as a point of
> discussion.  I don't want to pick on Matej Cepl, but standing up aalib
> as a reason to move to Suggests/Recommends
> only confuses the issue, just as your bugzilla ticket does.

I repeated couple of times that I am not an engineer and I don't
understand underlying technical issues enough, but this paragraph makes me
wonder -- aside from claiming that aalib is silly example it doesn't put
down any reason why it is so. Of course, it is silly example, but I
thought that everybody understands that it illustrates a class of
libraries which are installed without any reason than that packager
thought that they may be sometime by somebody every used.

Can you be more specific in the reasons why this is not the problem?
Otherwise, this sounds to me too close to smokescreening.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

Whenever Christ our life is revealed, then also you will be
revealed with Him in glory.
    -- Colossians 3:4 (Green's Literal Translation)