On Debian and Fedora experiences

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Dec 9 06:50:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 15:35 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Whereas
> with Suggests/Recommends there would be no way for the package
> management system to know if a user already has one of the
> applications installed that can be used to fill that function.
> Virtual provides solve the problem of choice among equals...
> suggests/recommends do not.  I see no reason to implement a
> Suggests/Recommends in this situation, from an end-user perspective.

.deb can handle this:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

"In the Depends, Recommends, Suggests, Pre-Depends, Build-Depends and
Build-Depends-Indep control file fields of the package, which declare
dependencies on other packages, the package names listed may also
include lists of alternative package names, separated by vertical bar
(pipe) symbols |. In such a case, if any one of the alternative packages
is installed, that part of the dependency is considered to be
satisfied."