(1/2) Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-12-11

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Dec 12 10:25:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:13:32 +0000, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> > OK, who was the bozo that yanked fltk from the repo without giving anyone a
> > chance to jump in and fix it first?  (:
>
> Michael, whilst you did do the right thing in taking fltk out of the
> repo as it has been orphaned for quite a while, it would have been great
> if you could have dropped a mail to the list if only to say "I've killed
> fltk" - it would have saved some time trawling through CVS etc. to
> figure out what broke. Or alternatively if you had warned in advance you
> were going to do it (and maybe even grepped for BR's, though I
> appreciate this takes more of your time), I'm sure someone else with
> deps on it would have picked it up, saving the need to take it out at
> all. Just something to consider for the future. Thanks.

As I understand it, you just volunteered to help with getting rid of
orphans in the future. Only with more man-power it would be possible to
add further tracking based on e-mail announcements and feedback thereafter.

The fact that there are orphans (not just in devel) for many weeks/months
without anyone taking care of them is reason to worry.

Dropping an rpm from the repo triggers a repoclosure mail to every packager
with dependencies on it. This is FE Development. Relax!

Here's the full list of orphans which have been removed from the devel
repo and disabled in CVS. The latter is done in accordance what FESCO has
decided in the past, so it needs more than a half-hearted "make build" to
rebuild them:

aspell-mi
blam
buildbot
camstream
cfs
cgi-util
cvsplot
doctorj
ecore
edb
edje
eet
embryo
evas
fltk
gdk-pixbuf
gfontview
gnofract4d
gnome-password-generator
gnome-themes-extras
gnome-yum
gourmet
gstreamer08-python
gtkhtml36
gurlchecker
jlint
leafpad
lcdf-typetools
libedit
libvisual-plugins
linkchecker
lostirc
luks-tools
new
nucleo
pam_mysql
pam_script
pitivi
polyxmass-common
polyxmass-data
polyxmass-doc
poster
python-cvstoys
qascade
quadkonsole
repoml
rkhunter
roundup
rpmDirectoryCheck
scim-chinese-standard
screem
scribus-templates
straw
system-config-control
tetex-fontools
v2strip
xffm

> p.s. I do know that fltk was listed here as orphaned a while back, but
> at the time I didn't have any deps on it...

There is no need to Cc me on these messages as I'm subscribed here.
Thank you.

When you added to FE a new package with a dependency on an _orphaned_
package, that would have been the perfect opportunity to de-orphan the
package first.