Pushing partial builds to the mirrors

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Dec 16 14:22:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 02:38:04PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Due to changed dependencies for a single subpackage I had to request
> a complete rebuild. This means that the main and all subpackages
> will be pushed to the mirrors, causing updates for all users, even
> though this release ought to be identical to the release before it,
> apart from said subpackage.
>
> I'd like to be able to tell the buildsys to push just the subpackage
> to the mirrors.

No, that's currently not possible and it shouldn't IMHO, as it is a
bad policy. Imagine an update of a dependency or a change in the
buildsystem definition, e.g. any change of the build environment
between your two builds. We would lose determinstic rebuilds, too.

There is too much possible and difficult-to-diagnose breakage if we
would allow mixing different releases of the same package. So you must
either have the users download all subpackages, or if you consider
that the bandwidth is not worth the fix, then keep from pushing the
fix yet to the production repos and wait until there is more to add to
the specfile (other fixes or a version bump).

(Note release != version)

Perhaps what you're really searching for are delta rpms?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net