Naming Guidelines Clarification for plugins, docklets etc

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Dec 17 16:15:05 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I think we need a clarification of the naming guidelines for plugins
like panel applets, docklets and so on.

> Addon Packages (General)
> If a new package is considered an "addon" package that enhances or
> adds a new functionality to an existing Fedora Core or Fedora Extras
> package without being useful on its own, its name should reflect this
> fact.
>
> The new package ("child") should prepend the "parent" package in its
> name, in the format: %{parent}-%{child}.

So we should at least have a "parent" or common prefix like "gnome" or
"xfce", but ATM we have:

      * autobuild-applet: Panel applet for monitoring Test-AutoBuild
        server status
      * bubblemon: A system monitoring dockapp
      * contact-lookup-applet: Applet which allows you to search your
        Evolution address book
      * deskbar-applet: A Gnome applet to allow easy access to various
        search engines
      * gai-pal: GAI Pal applet
      * gai-temp: GAI based applet that displays HDD and CPU temperature
      * glunarclock: GNOME applet that displays the current lunar phase
      * gnome-applet-music: A GNOME panel applet to control various
        music players
      * gnome-applet-netmon: GNOME Network Load Applet
      * gnome-applet-netspeed: GNOME applet that shows traffic on a
        network device
      * gnome-applet-rhythmbox: A GNOME panel applet to control
        Rhythmbox's playback
      * gnome-applet-sensors: Gnome panel applet for hardware sensors
      * gnome-applet-timer: A countdown timer applet for the GNOME panel
      * gnome-applet-vm: Simple virtual domains monitor which embeds
        themselves in the GNOME panel (Core package)
      * gnome-cpufreq-applet: CPU frequency scaling monitor applet
      * lock-keys-applet: A GNOME panel applet that shows the status of
        the lock keys
      * padevchooser: Control applet for PulseAudio
      * panelfm: Quick File Manager Applet
      * verbiste-gnome: GNOME Panel applet for Verbiste (subpackage of
        verbiste)
      * wp_tray: A wallpaper-changing applet for GNOME

Pending packages:
      * 219932 driconf - A configuration applet for the for the Direct
        Rendering Infrastructure
      * 218600 resapplet - Resolution Switching Applet
      * 174290 HDate-applet is an applet to show the hebrew date

     1. Make everything gnome-applet-<foo>, this is used for most
        packages atm and allows nice sorting
     2. Make everything gnome-<foo>-applet, just like all the
        xfce4-panel-plugins: This is closer to the upstream names in
        most cases and might be better for packages like resapplet, wich
        would simply become gnome-resapplet instead of something stupid
        like gnome-applet-res or gnome-applet-resapplet
        (gnome-applet-resolution would be least worse)
     3. Don't be so pedantic, only rename packages to their parent, the
        rest is maintainer's decision
     4. Leave everything as it is now and don't make so much noise.

I think we should at least agree on
     1. a common prefix
     2. a clarification of the naming/packaging guidelines
     3. an addition to the guidelines: packages that don't use the
        upstream name should have a Provides: with the original name to
        allow simple installs

Ideas?

Christoph