clement is a yum repository?

Jean-Marc Pigeon jmp at safe.ca
Thu Dec 21 21:41:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 14:03 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
>
> > 2) The way I updated the FC6 with 2-1.241 was rather "blunt".
> > Sorry about this, My purpose was to have the same (stable)
> > version in devel (FC7) and FC6.
> > According my quick reading of comment about this subject
> > I should had update the tar file and check CVS diff....
> > Ok, my fault.
> >
> > So then:
> > What is the best course of action to me clean my mess?
>
> For now, FESCo took action to update cvs to omit the offending yum.repos.d/*
> file(s), see:
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/220497

	I had some though about this repos.d story and I strongly
	disagree.

	As the piece of software clement is not an orphan one, master
	development is still alive and not within Fedora as such.
	The fact to add a reference within repos.d (in disabled mode)
	is in continuity with "Source:" specification within the
	spec file. Specifying a repos.d allow sysadmin to take
	(if he want) the last version while still not present on
	Fedora depository.
	Other alternative is to go to the ftp site, grab data
	recompile the all smash...

	Let see this from another stand point, clamav is a very
	important application to me, do I need to wait for the last
	version to be included in Fedora whatever to grab it,
	no..., what happen when FCX is not supported any more,
	but my production system is still FCX, do I need to
	fool around trying to figure out where to find the last
	RPM? my answer is no, while the reference is still
	FCX, it could me nice to have the latest application
	(if provided). From my stand point the repos.d/clement
	is an anchor and it is our duty (as application designer)
	to provide legacy RPM. When doing a release we provide
	clement's RPM from RH7.3 to FC6 and including Centos, RHEL
	and mandriva...
	tcpdump on FC6 is outdated, to have a reference
	to "enabled" in repos.d and reach a master site to grab
	the latest version. would be nice... (up to me to enable
	this specific repos.d).
	Once again, adding this anchor within repos.d is not
	conceptually different than the "Source:" information
	within spec file.

	I am afraid saying "repos.d" is out of reach is too
	self-centric. As Fedora cycle are very short this will
	imply Fedora can't be use to run a real application server.
	Sharing my feeling...