clement is a yum repository?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 22:59:27 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Jean-Marc Pigeon <jmp at safe.ca> wrote:
>         Is my understanding correct, the sys-admin need to
>         take a repos definition somewhere in doc and
>         place it in /etc/yum.repos.d ???
>         yet another level of data dispersion/confusion

Its confusing either way. There are no perfect solutions.
I think we avoid far more potential problems long term by not
including the repo file in the repos.d directory by default...even
disabled. You are free to disagree with me on that.

The end of support lifetime scenario of a production fedora system is
a total red-herring to stand-up special-casing celement's need for a
repo file. If anything that scenario suggests that every package
should be allowed to install its own repo definition.. and that is
just absolutely madness. 2000+ different repo definition files, for
2000+ stand-alone and un-coordinated upstream repositories, each meant
to extend the support lifetime of a fedora system. Madness.  There is
nothing particular special about celement compared to any other
package which would make having a specialized repo file more
desirable. I see no reason to make an exception for celement, and not
for literally hundreds of other packages with active upstream
development.

Letting individual package maintainers put it in the package docs
instantly makes it a reference resource for those admins who want to
look at it and optionally enable the non-fedora controlled repository.
 You are greatly exaggerating the the effort it takes to cp a file
from docs to another location on the system.  Moreover, allowing this
in docs maybe appropriate as a general fedora space policy for all
packages. If so, this means it becomes easier over time for admins to
find all available referencec repo files because they will be in a
consistent out-of-the-way location for each package which chooses to
provide them.  Littering repos.d with hundreds of disabled repo file
definitions, on a per package basis, only serves to make it more
difficult for admins to administer the repo definitions which are
active.

-jef"Oh and by the way you really need to Require yum or
fedora-release if you plan to drop a repos file into repos.d. Dropping
it in docs as a reference, doesn't need a requires"spaleta