clement is a yum repository?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Fri Dec 22 13:17:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> 4) Usability of yum: What happens if 10% of our packages feel they need
> to give yum an upstream repo file?  Suddenly, there's 100+ repo files
> that yum has to deal with.  If they're all enabled then yum has to
> download primary.xml files from all of them.

  You left out "assuming the server hosting the repo is up."  Fedora has a
nice distributed network of mirrors -- does clement?  I don't want my yum
session bombing out because Joe Random's colo happens to be out of
commission.
  I support the notion that packages shouldn't ship (and certainly
shouldn't enable) their own .repo files.  There are already too many
separate repositories for my liking, and I strongly suspect I'm not alone.
  Ship a .repo file in %doc if you want; I don't have a major beef with
that (although ultimately FESCo or the Packaging Committee has the final
say on that).  Just keep it out of /etc/yum.repos.d/.  I don't care how
confusing it might be to enable it -- how confused do you think we were
when we discovered (twice!) that you did such an outlandish thing?

      Jima