desktop-file-install for all desktop files?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 15:05:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 15:23 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Do we need desktop-file-install for _ALL_ *.desktop files?

> >From the guidelines at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-254ddf07aae20a23ced8cecc219d8f73926e9755
> "This is mostly for the sake of menu-editing (which bases off
> of .desktop file/path names)."
>
> So am I correct that we don't need desktop-file-install for desktop
> files that do not show up in the menu?

No, the guidelines are simply wrong here.

Desktop files are just files, there is no magic registration that
happens via desktop-file-install. The one thing that running
desktop-file-install gives you is some validation of the contents,
and some capability of simple editing.

The whole vendor prefix idea is inherently broken.

Matthias