clement is a yum repository?

Jean-Marc Pigeon jmp at safe.ca
Fri Dec 22 19:01:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 07:17 -0600, Jima wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > 4) Usability of yum: What happens if 10% of our packages feel they need
> > to give yum an upstream repo file?  Suddenly, there's 100+ repo files
> > that yum has to deal with.  If they're all enabled then yum has to
> > download primary.xml files from all of them.
>
>   You left out "assuming the server hosting the repo is up."  Fedora has a
> nice distributed network of mirrors -- does clement?  I don't want my yum
> session bombing out because Joe Random's colo happens to be out of
> commission.
	You are absolutely right.... But may I suggest you missed
	my point altogether....
	Clement is not the issue...
	The issue is to have in 2 year from now an FC6 in production,
	everything is perfect ("if it is working, do not fix it"), but
	you still want to keep up-to-date 2 or 3 critical application
	(from your production stand-point).
	YUM and it is repository system is now a standard.
	By setting the clement repos definition , I tried to provide
	a way to conveniently go beyond the normal FCX life
	cycle. In fact I am trying to resolve a problem of my own
	occuring when I want to keep some package Alive (I know some
	customer site still running (happily) a RH-6.1 for almost 6 year
	now).

	If, I as provider/designer, I am willing to provide application
	X from RH-7.3 -> to XXXX, it is my decision. Having a convenient
	yum backup repos implemented within the application seems
	to me a solution (may be there is better way (still to
	define?)).
	According my understanding of the exchange on this topics,
	providing a easy/standardized way to go beyond a normal
	linux distribution life cycle is out of question.
	Fine to me, but then FC-X is a nice piece of artwork,
	but not a distribution to be used for production grad.
	(May be RedHat like it that way).

>   I support the notion that packages shouldn't ship (and certainly
[...]
> say on that).  Just keep it out of /etc/yum.repos.d/.  I don't care how
> confusing it might be to enable it -- how confused do you think we were
> when we discovered (twice!) that you did such an outlandish thing?
	First time I was not advised, if it was that terrible, you
	should have let me know, too bad for you.

--
A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                                     Internet:
jmp at safe.ca
SAFE Inc.                       Phone: (514) 493-4280  Fax: (514)
493-1946
        Clement, 'a kiss solution' to get rid of SPAM (at last)
           Clement' Home base <"http://www.clement.safe.ca">