clement is a yum repository?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 19:20:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 14:01, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
>         occuring when I want to keep some package Alive (I know some
>         customer site still running (happily) a RH-6.1 for almost 6 year
>         now).
>
>         If, I as provider/designer, I am willing to provide application
>         X from RH-7.3 -> to XXXX, it is my decision. Having a convenient
>         yum backup repos implemented within the application seems
>         to me a solution (may be there is better way (still to
>         define?)).
>         According my understanding of the exchange on this topics,
>         providing a easy/standardized way to go beyond a normal
>         linux distribution life cycle is out of question.
>         Fine to me, but then FC-X is a nice piece of artwork,
>         but not a distribution to be used for production grad.
>         (May be RedHat like it that way).

It is very irresponsible to promote such scenarios.  Unless you are providing
all the backported security flaws for every piece of software they might be
using, you should not encourage folks to use Fedora beyond the lifespan that
is stated by the Fedora project.  If the lifespan doesn't fit your needs,
perhaps you should look to a different distribution such as RHEL or CentOS.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora