Can someone school me on desktop file creation fixups?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 22:30:54 UTC 2006

Good Morning!
I'm working on a prepping a gpodder srpm for review submission, but I
think I'm having a problem with the desktop file. It's not appearing
in the menu structure, and I'm not really sure why. Can anyone show me
what I'm doing wrong?

Here's the spec:
http://jspaleta.thecodergeek.com/Fedora%20SRPMS/gpodder/gpodder.spec

here's the desktop-file-install command being used in the spec:

desktop-file-install --vendor fedora --delete-original           \
  --dir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications                 \
  --remove-key Miniicon --add-category Application \
  --add-category X-Fedora-Extras                                 \
  $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications/%{name}.desktop

and here is the generated desktop file:
http://jspaleta.thecodergeek.com/Fedora%20SRPMS/gpodder/fedora-gpodder.desktop

rpmlint returns:
E: gpodder non-utf8-desktopfile
/tmp/gpodder-0.8.0-1.noarch.rpm.10899/usr/share/applications/fedora-gpodder.desktop

Not sure how I go about fixing that either.

-jef