repo check tools

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Dec 28 11:15:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:44:13 +0300, Peter Astakhov wrote:

> Hello!
> I am interested in tool, which can remove or generate list of unused
> packages in the repo catalog.

Ready for use is "repomanage" from yum-utils.

> For example, now in Fedora Extras exist package
> wesnoth-1.0.2-4.fc6.x86_64.rpm and wesnoth-1.2-1.fc6.x86_64.rpm

This is intentional. For stable releases of Fedora Extras we keep the
latest _two_ package releases. For FE Development we only keep the latest.

Older releases are deleted automatically. For a long time, we've used
repomanage for that. For two months, code called "repoprune" is active
(and could be enhanced for inclusion in yum-utils, although it is
dangerous to use it). It's a more rigorous solution and several times
faster than repomanage. It deletes old src.rpm packages first and then
deletes all binary rpms which point to a non-existant src.rpm. That way it
gets rid of obsolete/out-of-date sub-packages, too, and keeps the
repository clean.