What is the proper way to fix 'make tag' and 'make plague' conflict

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Feb 8 14:38:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:57:53 +0100, Andreas Bierfert wrote:

> Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > IMNSHO bumping the release is the best available fix and force-tagging
> > is much uglier.
>
> Hm, not that you need to but I really would like to know why you think that...
> :) just curious...

Because force-tagging bears the risk of breaking something in even
less expected ways.

Some of the solutions suggested in this thread are dangerous.

Paul Howarth wrote:

> The "cvs tag -F" is equivalent to "make tag TAG_OPTS=-F";

No, it isn't. The latter determines the tag automatically (!). For the
former you need to specify the tag yourself. That is dangerous, because
you can move an arbitrary existing tag you don't want to move. You can
even break other people's packages in CVS that way.

So, everyone, please don't play with this.