packaging suggestions.

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 04:12:17 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Michael J Knox <michael at knox.net.nz> wrote:
> I am attempting to package bro (bro-ids.org) and have a couple of
> questions.
>
> When bro is installed it installs its self into /usr, which is fine, but
> it also creates a bunch of directories like:

I did this a while back... BRO is built around a BSD flavor and
expects these things to be there. It is very linux/SYS-V un-friendly..
I had to patch several things to get 0.9a8 to work, and then forced
everything under /usr/lib/bro and /usr/share/bro. In some ways.. it
might actually work better under the /svr/ tree (that is /svr/bro/ as
the root).

Looking at this old patched version. I had to make some changes to Bro
that I sent upstream, and could not use the %configure but had to add
some entries to make it do what it should and not what it wanted.

If the /svr/bro tree is allowed in extras.. that would clean up most
of the problems. Bro is a server/service. If it isnt.. expect to do a
bunch of cleanup. I think that most of my patch doesnt work with the
later versions due to offsets and such.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator