Packaging review guidelines clarification

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:25:28 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> The problem with that is that not every reviewer has the bandwidth to
> support a mock build environment (particularly for development), so it's
> probably left as a "should", but a failure being a blocker.

there was a discussion at somepoint about scratch build trees in the
buildsystem to help with update builds.

Would it be a worthwhile to extend that discussion about the value of
enhancing the build system to have scratch areas so reviewers could
submit srpms that aren't in cvs yet to spin up rpms using the
dedicated buildsystem hardware without having to pull the build
environment down locally?

I have no idea how much work that would entail.. but its thing I think
which would most greatly impact the quality of the review process for
binaries.  Not having access to all build arches and not having the
bandwidth to pull down the development tree are large obstacles to
doing quality review builds, at least for me.

-jef