static libs ... again

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Feb 20 13:10:33 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Ralf, excellent point, and I'm swayed by the argument.  If packagers
>> really want to include static libs, make it obvious and place them in
>> a -static subpkg.
>>
>> One question to beg here... I maintain several libraries that come
>> *only* as static libs(*).  At the moment, these pkgs provide *only* a
>> -devel pkg (pending upstream fix(es) to allow for shared/dynamic
>> libs).  Is that acceptable or should these get split too?

> Not split, but renamed would be a good so replace -devel with -static.

Eek.    I still think headers and api docs and such still should be in
-devel (especially if there's any likelyhood of a real shared lib
existing some day), and that -static should Requires: %{name}-devel

> Also I wonder how hard is it to add -fpic -DPIC to the cflags and change
> the link command to generate an .so. The only added trouble would be
> checking for abi changes on new releases and bumping the .so name a
> release.

Exactly.  I'm of the opinion (in most cases) that if upstream isn't
able/willing to do something (like generating shared libs), then neither
am I (as packager).

-- Rex