[Fedora-packaging] Re: PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:17:41 UTC 2006

> Works for section 3 but not for section 1 (application man packages).
> There, each man page should match the name of the tool it is trying to
> describe.
>
> But, if section 1 man pages clash, the apps probably also do.

And in section 3 they don't?
I suggest efforts would be better directed at fixing the real problem -
i.e. the library namespace.

Having an API that calls functions line() and such means it's just a
question of time before you run into header conflicts where a program
attempts to include two headers with the same function name (or
statically link against two libraries with the same symbol, whether the
function is used or not)... or link against the library and have a local
function called line() defined.

I suppose programming language makes a difference here, but at least
this should apply to C code.