error loading shared lib

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Thu Feb 2 19:42:53 UTC 2006

I've never seen this before. I installed the latest octave and atlas on
a devel machine and when I try to either start octave or even run ldd
/usr/bin/octave, I get this:

octave: error while loading shared libraries: libblas.so.3: cannot
enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

This works fine in FC-4, and used to work in devel. ATLAS was rebuilt
after the upgrade to gcc 4.1, so I don't think that would cause it. Is
it possible that further changes to gcc in the last month could have
caused it? Any other ideas?

-Quentin