ScriptletSnippets: desktop-database,mimeinfo

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Feb 3 19:49:17 UTC 2006

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:

>>respectively, but the "GTK+ icon cache" section says (rightfully)
>>"Note that no dependencies should be added for this".

>Instead of, it should state that:

> * 'Requires(post): gtk2' shall be added for packages shipping icons and
>   requiring gtk2 (e.g. typical Gnome2 applications)

I disagree.  This would be (mostly?) pointless.  The pkgs in question
already implicitly require gtk2 already, why add the bloat?

> * a '%trigger -- gtk2' with gtk-update-icon-cache shall be added for
>   packages shipping icons and NOT requiring gtk2 (e.g. KDE applications)

Ack, no.  No need to add needless triggers, that could potentially get
run 10's or theoretically 100's of times. There's a better way (see below)

> Else, when you have a installation sequence of
> 1. package-A
> 2. gtk2
> with package-A shipping icons, you will get a 5-10 startup penalty
> for every gtk2 application because the icon cache is outdated and
> 'gtk-update-icon-cache' was not executed.

That's why gtk2 should include it's own %post scriptlet:
  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/170335

-- REx