ScriptletSnippets: desktop-database,mimeinfo

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Feb 3 20:58:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 21:39 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:
>
> >> * 'Requires(post): gtk2' shall be added for packages shipping icons and
> >>   requiring gtk2 (e.g. typical Gnome2 applications)
> >
> > I disagree.  This would be (mostly?) pointless.  The pkgs in question
> > already implicitly require gtk2 already, why add the bloat?
>
> There is a difference between Requires(post): and a plain Requires:. The
> first statement guarantees that the cache will be created, the latter
> might miss to create it.

What if gtk's %post has a script to invoke the icon cache?
Then installation order could be either:
  package-with-icons => icon cache creation fails.
  gtk => icon cache creation succeeds.
or:
  gtk => icon cache created
  package-with-icons => icon cache update succeeds

Or am I misunderstanding how gtk-update-icon-cache works?

I realize it doesn't work this way currently... Rex's bugzilla includes
a request to add that to gtk's %post.  For releases before gtk is
changed, what do you think is the best fix?  The three step process you
outline (which involves triggers which are always nice to avoid) or
change something else?

-Toshio