Please help comment on hdf/netcdf compatability

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 3 21:11:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 13:55 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I maintain hdf 4.2r1 in FE.  I'm running into an issue with
> compatibility with netcdf.  By default, hdf provides the netcdf api as
> well, unless compiled with -DHAVE_NETCDF.
>
> I also maintain gdl, which can be linked against both hdf and netcdf,
> but I get complaints.  I don't know if gdl can use the netcdf API in the
> hdf library or not - looking into it (if you know, tell me!).
>
> Those of you who use both, what would you like to see?

Hi Orion,

I don't have an opinion here since I rarely use hdf4 and have yet to try
gdl (although it sounds cool and useful--just haven't had enough spare
time to examine it!).  In any case, if there is anything that I can do
to help (eg. with the netcdf package) please let me know.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307