extras maintainence

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Feb 10 17:14:15 UTC 2006

> On 2/10/06, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> > how do we do this?  We have two options,
> > one) existing package maintainers need to maintain there packages until legacy
> > no longer supports a release.  but a stipulation could be made  that once a
> > release moves to legacy  the only updates in extras are bugfixes and security
> > related.
> I do not think this is wise nor do I think this is a workable option.
> I think making this a requirement for all package maintainers to have
> to track legacy releases will mean less maintainers over time.
IMO, you are missing one important point: FE is a volunteer effort, so
there are no requirements to make. FE-maintainers update/upgrade
packages at their personal will and disposition.

Therefore (besides of mere technical constrains) maintainers are
abandoning "older releases" for personal reasons, completely independent
of the point in time an FC release is discontinued _by RH_.

> > two)  we create an extras legacy team,  who would then take over
> > maintainership of all extras packages once a release moves to legacy.
> > though if a package maintainer wanted to continue support of his/her packages
> > that would be beneficial.
>
> I think this is the only way forward and the most flexible option.

I don't think so.

The most flexible solution would be
* continuation and seamless integration of "Legacy and Extras", i.e. not
to formally split "Legacy and Extras" and the people behind them.
* cooperation/teaming up between those folks who are more interested in
older releases ("Legacy team") and upstream ("Extras maintainers"), i.e.
not to formally "pass ownership", but to collaborate and share package
maintenance.

In short: We are volunteers, and if volunteers want to do something, you
shouldn't prevent them from doing it - You should make it as easy as
possible, otherwise they will feel peed.

Example: I don't have a problem in continuing maintenance of some
packages for FE3 for some time, until _I_ am loosing interest, but I am
not interested putting the burdon a legacy project would additionally
impose on me.

Ralf