Please rebuild your packages in the development tree of Fedora Extras

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Feb 14 16:40:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 09:58 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:20:18 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > You forget that we have some packagers that live in parts of the world
> > where internet bandwidth is costly. I suspect that each rebuild for
> > devel with mock will download 300 - 750 MByte. To much for those
> > packagers afaics.
>
> In this light it is obviously better to upgrade each and every package
> to make everyone download everything again, right?
>
> Personally I do not mind rebuilding or downloading, but the bandwidth
> argument does not really fly here.

The majority of the download (for a mock rebuild) will be from within
Core which we don't have any control over (and, it seems, is the reason
for the rebuild anyway.)  Only a few (if any) inter-dependencies within
Extras for any given package.  So, if the Extras packages are going to
be rebuilt (to use the new Core features), then I think there is a
tremendous bandwidth savings to be had in this sort of rebuild vs each
packager using mock.

-Toshio