FE Package Status of Feb 16, 2006

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Feb 18 16:57:56 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:25:24 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> >  The one thing *I* promised to do
> > (and have done several days ago) is to purge broken binary orphans from
> > the repo. I did not suggest removing any other orphans from the repo. That
> > would break post-install yum upgrades: libs upgraded, exe upgrades not
> > available => transaction check => *boom*
>
> Well, we need to deal with that somehow. For example a "Rebuild the
> orphan packages task force" -- but who will do that? And who will
> maintain them later during lifetime of FE6? And how long are we going to
> do that? Forever? I don't think that will work.

No, but this time we announce them on the FC5Status page as officially
orphaned, remove them from devel after FC-5 branch is available, and then
move on. Remember, we've used those FCXStatus pages like that before.

> > Further, there are some packages marked as orphans, which are not really
> > orphans.
>
> Yeah, I suspected something like that. But how to we find out which? The
> rebuild might help a bit here, too. At least gtkglarea2 and wesnoth seem
> to be orphaned according to owners.list, but they were both rebuild by
> somebody.
>
> /me looks closer
>
> gtkglarea2 -- Gerard Milmeister <gemi[AT]bluewin.ch>
> wesnoth -- Michael Schwendt <mschwendt[AT]users.sf.net> (sigh ;-) )

Well, in owners.list I'm in Cc. I've taken over wesnoth quite some time
ago from Panu and continued up to their first final release (1.0.x
series). But that's it. It remains a potentially orphaned package.
Just recently, however, somebody has raised interest in taking it.
I just don't remember who it was. ;)