FE Package Status of Feb 16, 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Feb 18 17:13:37 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 18.02.2006, 17:57 +0100 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:25:24 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > >  The one thing *I* promised to do
> > > (and have done several days ago) is to purge broken binary orphans from
> > > the repo. I did not suggest removing any other orphans from the repo. That
> > > would break post-install yum upgrades: libs upgraded, exe upgrades not
> > > available => transaction check => *boom*
> > Well, we need to deal with that somehow. For example a "Rebuild the
> > orphan packages task force" -- but who will do that? And who will
> > maintain them later during lifetime of FE6? And how long are we going to
> > do that? Forever? I don't think that will work.
> No, but this time we announce them on the FC5Status page as officially
> orphaned, remove them from devel after FC-5 branch is available, and then
> move on. Remember, we've used those FCXStatus pages like that before.

Sorry, seems I can't follow here. Wouldn't that also result in "that
would break post-install yum upgrades [in FC6]: libs upgraded, exe
upgrades not available => transaction check => *boom* "?

I'd really like to get rid of the orphans sooner than later. At least
until we have a security team that at least updates orphans with known
security problems.

BTW: What do other packages think? Remove them now or after branching?

> > > Further, there are some packages marked as orphans, which are not really
> > > orphans.
> > Yeah, I suspected something like that. But how to we find out which? The
> > rebuild might help a bit here, too. At least gtkglarea2 and wesnoth seem
> > to be orphaned according to owners.list, but they were both rebuild by
> > somebody.
> >
> > /me looks closer
> >
> > gtkglarea2 -- Gerard Milmeister <gemi[AT]bluewin.ch>
> > wesnoth -- Michael Schwendt <mschwendt[AT]users.sf.net> (sigh ;-) )
>
> Well, in owners.list I'm in Cc. I've taken over wesnoth quite some time
> ago from Panu and continued up to their first final release (1.0.x
> series). But that's it. It remains a potentially orphaned package.
> Just recently, however, somebody has raised interest in taking it.
> I just don't remember who it was. ;)

Ahh, okay. :)

Cu
thl