Requiring a versioned R in rpy

John Mahowald jpmahowald at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:13:16 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Jose' Matos <jamatos at fc.up.pt> wrote:
> Hi all,
>         rpy requires the version of R for which it is compiled, is there any way to
> get that automatically or do I need to set manually each time?

rpy README indicates at least R 1.5 and python 2., both of which
Fedora provides http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy/README

> I have tried
>
> Requires: \
> R = %(%{_bindir}/R --version | head -n 1 | sed -e 's/.* \(.*\) .*/\1/')
>
> but it seems that R is not installed at that point.
>
> Is there any way back?

You need to add a "BuildRequires: R-devel" line if you are going to
build against R. Also, you can version these dependencies with
operators, >, =, etc. See the rpm book for reference:
http://rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/