static libs ... again

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Feb 20 13:04:32 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> IMO, no point.
>
>> I disagree.
>> *-static would make packages using these static libs clearly
>> identifiable from examining these packages' spec or src.rpm.
>>
>> "Lumping together" static and shared libs into *-devel, hides away usage
>> of static libs from packaging.
>
> Ralf, excellent point, and I'm swayed by the argument.  If packagers
> really want to include static libs, make it obvious and place them in a
> -static subpkg.
>
> One question to beg here... I maintain several libraries that come
> *only* as static libs(*).  At the moment, these pkgs provide *only* a
> -devel pkg (pending upstream fix(es) to allow for shared/dynamic libs).
>  Is that acceptable or should these get split too?
>
> -- Rex

Not split, but renamed would be a good so replace -devel with -static.

Also I wonder how hard is it to add -fpic -DPIC to the cflags and change
the link command to generate an .so. The only added trouble would be
checking for abi changes on new releases and bumping the .so name a release.

Regards,

Hans