static libs ... again

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Feb 20 16:18:07 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>>> Eek.    I still think headers and api docs and such still should be
>>> in -devel (especially if there's any likelyhood of a real shared lib
>>> existing some day), and that -static should Requires: %{name}-devel

>>> Exactly.  I'm of the opinion (in most cases) that if upstream isn't
>>> able/willing to do something (like generating shared libs), then
>>> neither am I (as packager).
>
>> You say "Exactly" as in I agree with you and then you continue with
>> saying that you're not willing todo this, I'm confused now.
>
> Exactly, as in "The only added trouble..." part.  (-:
>
> As I said, if it's really not so hard, let upstream do it, per Fedora's
> mantra "Upstream, upstream, upstream..."

Yes,

But sometimes upstream doesn't, because they dont care about this for
example, yet it would still be worth the trouble. I believe this needs
more discussion we all seem to agree that static libs should be provided
if possible, since in most cases even if upstream doesn't do it it isn't
all that much work, why don't we do this.

I'm planning on packaging some software that uses one of these only has
-devel with static libs packages with no .so and I'm actually also
planning on filing an RFE against this package for proper .so files.

Why shouldn't a packager do this? Upstream is what we want, but
unfortunatly is not always what we get.

Regards,

Hans