static libs ... again

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Feb 20 16:25:03 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> But sometimes upstream doesn't, because they dont care about this for
> example, yet it would still be worth the trouble.

At the packagers discretion, sure, if they're willing to do the extra
work, testing, troubleshooting.

> I believe this needs
> more discussion we all seem to agree that static libs should be provided
> if possible,

???
There have been quite a few dissenters... including my own stance:
static libs should in general be omitted, but allowing for exceptions(*)

(*) If there is good reason otherwise, and packager is willing.

-- Rex