[Fedora-packaging] Re: PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Feb 20 18:45:52 UTC 2006

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> I suggest efforts would be better directed at fixing the real problem -
> i.e. the library namespace.
>
> Having an API that calls functions line() and such means it's just a
> question of time before you run into header conflicts where a program
> attempts to include two headers with the same function name (or
> statically link against two libraries with the same symbol, whether the
> function is used or not)... or link against the library and have a local
> function called line() defined.
>
> I suppose programming language makes a difference here, but at least
> this should apply to C code.

Yes, things should get fixed upstream.  But in the meantime, we're
packaging this stuff and need a policy for a workaround.

I'm inclined to rename all man3 functions to ncarg_<name> to fix my
particular issue.  I'll file a note upstream as well.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222