Crontab and init scripts

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 21 13:35:47 UTC 2006

I'm still open to discussion on this but I'm not convinced that the
yum method is best to be used with Cacti.  I've decided to leave the
cron script in /etc/cron.d/ and simply comment out the line that
causes it to run by default.

I just think the "dual enable" thing is a little odd.  In order for it
to run it has to be started and be placed in cron.  Also (being real
strict here) the Yum method goes against FHS.  The requrements for a
pid file in /var/run require a PID.  Since cron starts the poller
regularly it starts and stops and the PID of it would change
reqularly.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA

      -Mike