Frustrated package submitters? (was: Re: Summary from last FESCo meeting)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Feb 25 19:50:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 19:10 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>   The recent repo
> breakage caused by invalid "Provides" plus some bugs in new packages and
> updates are reason enough not to "lower the hurdle" by altering the review
> process for new packages.

As one of the guilty parties from the recent dap-server problem, I'd
like to submit my humble apologies along with two ideas for addition to
the wiki at:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

and they are:

 - '''MUST''': Source must not use (and preferably not even contain)
   a local copy of something that is packaged elsewhere in Fedora
   Core or Extras.

 - '''MUST''': For each binary and noarch RPM generated, reviewers
   must verify that the list of provides ("rpm -q --provides ...")
   are acceptable for this package.

Or, are there better ways to avoid this situation in the future?  If so,
would someone please describe?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD