Not for commercial use licenses / seperate repo? (was Re: angband license)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Feb 26 08:36:43 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Wart wrote:
>
>> While I was packaging angband, I came across this questionable license
>> text.  Before I spend too much time with this, I wanted to verify that
>> the first paragraph is valid.  In particular, it says that the software
>> can be copied and distributed for non-for-profit purposes, that is, not
>> for commercial purposes.  Does this disqualify it as an OSI-compatible
>> license?
>>

> Yes it does.  It is not a OSI compatible since the OSI definition, claus
> 6 disallows a OSI license to discriminate against fields of endeavor.
> Refer to http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php for more details.

Indeed it does. This subject actually comes up quite frequent and it
seems relevant in the non-free FE repo discussion we had on the -devel list.

Now I'm no fan of non-free software, but IMHO opinion I think it is fair
if people give something away for free including source et all that they
disallow commercial use.

So I would like to propose creating a not for commercial use repo under
the fedora umbrella. I know some people are afraid that this will cause
pollution of the really free parts, so this repo would have to follow
the following rules:
-not enabled in default FC repo config
-may not be used by FE packages to depend on, IOW any package depending
  on a package in non-commercial automaticly must itself be in
  non-commercial.
-for the allowed non-commercial use it should be 100% free, so derative
  works, redistributing (modfied) versions and (modified) source should
  all be allowed.

And maybe:
-the license should explicitly state, that a license for commercial use
can be had by contacting (and paying) the copyright holder.

Regards,

Hans