Not for commercial use licenses / seperate repo? (was Re: angband license)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Feb 26 13:11:19 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 07:13, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >> Now I'm no fan of non-free software, but IMHO opinion I think it is
> >> fair if people give something away for free including source et all
> >> that they disallow commercial use.
> >>
> >> So I would like to propose creating a not for commercial use repo
> >> under the fedora umbrella.
> >
> > Currently Fedora is 100% Free and open source. Such repositories IMO
> > would dilute that. If it needs to be done, coordinate and do it but not
> > within the Fedora umbrella. My 2 cents.
>
> Setting up a proper repo takes lots of effort, if it can legally be done
> within Fedora then all that effort could be put somewhere better.
>
> We've even had discussions about allowing this kinda software into
> extras afaik we're still waiting for a response from legal. Greg you
> were talking to legal about this back then, did they give an answer if
> not why not?
>
> Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating putting this into extras, but I
> think it should be doable under the Fedora umbrella.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Personally, I don't care if it *can* be done.  AFAIK, there's no legal reason
we couldn't, but I don't think we *should* do it.  It goes against the stated
goals of the project, and it does so without good reason.  A repository of
such software would fail many of the requirements we currently place on Core
and Extras - requirements that we place for good reason.

That aside, it would take a great deal of effort to do this under the Fedora
umbrella, even if it were possible and allowed.  We already have our hands
full with the Core and Extras repositories, and there's no reason to add to
the workload with a repository of questionable merit.

I say we continue as we are, following the goals that we have already set, and
leave non-free or otherwise limited software to third-parties with a vested
interest.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com