Extras Lists Transition Plan

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 18:32:55 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 13:07 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>
>> Anybody see any huge problems here?
> Not huge, except that I find this proposal counterproductive to FE,
> because
>
> * All on FE is about to getting competent people involved, and not to
> hide maintainers away and give people the impression of "These dumb nuts
> are so stupid to do the work for you".

How is this promoting this idea?

> * FE and FC should be treated as one entity, therefore the split you are
> proposing renders fedora-extras list superfluous, because the topics to
> be discussed on your future fedora-extras-list are already covered by
> fedora-list.

While there is agreement that FE and FC need to be moving closer
together, we will not reach that goal overnight.  In the meantime this
is a slight improvement meant to better handle the rapid growth and
traffic within Extras project.

fedora-extras-list is supposed to be a devel discussion list, anything
else is off-topic.  With less noise on the list, it will be easier to
enforce this.  fedora-list and other places are supposed to be for users.

> * A significant amount of discussions on current fedora-extras is about
> packaging - People wanting to get involved into Fedora should learn
> about the issues on packaging as early as possible, before they try to
> submit anything.
>
> * As an FE maintainer, the number of mailing list I am subscribed to has
> reached an extend I find non-acceptable.
>

> With your split, I fear we will soon see the fedora-list trolls popping
> up on fedora-extras and a further decrease in quality of packages,
> because first-time SUBMITTERS had not been confronted with packaging
> issues in advance.
>
> Ralf

I see no real difference in splitting the current traffic of
fedora-extras-list into two lists.  You have the option of filtering
both lists into a single folder so you personally see no change.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com