strange rebuild configure error on FC5 (tktable)

Michael Thomas wart at kobold.org
Tue Feb 28 23:32:21 UTC 2006

Jean-Luc Fontaine wrote:
> When trying to rebuild tktable for FE5, I got the following error (from
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/5422-tktable-2.9-8.fc5/i386/build.log):
>
> ./configure: line 9966: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> ./configure: line 9966: `    case `(ac_space=' '; set | grep ac_space) 2>&1` in'
>
> According to the above, it would seems the following script would fail
> on FC5:
>
> case `(ac_space=' '; set | grep ac_space) 2>&1` in
> *ac_space=\ *)
> echo 0
> ;;
> *)
> echo 1
>  ;;
> esac;
>
> I doubt it (works on FC4, must be something else in configure), but I do
> not have an FC5 box to check it...

This is a problem with the tcl.m4 file that came with earlier versions
of Tcl.  There is a quoting bug in the file that was not exposed until
bash 3.1 was packaged with FC5.  Many tcl extensions were bitten by this
bug.

Grab the latest tcl.m4 from sourceforge and re-run autoconf to fix the
problem.  Or take a look at the patch that I made for tclxml in FE
(which fixes some missing lib problems as well).

FWIW, the offending line in tcl.m4 is:

    system=MP-RAS=`awk '{print }' /etc/.relid'`

(note the unmatched single quote near the end)

--Mike