Wine c.f. Mono

Andy Burns fedora-extras at adslpipe.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 15:49:02 UTC 2006

Linus Walleij wrote:

> Don't blame me man, I didn't do it.

Don't worry!

> Is Java encumbered by patents, really? Isn't it just the copyrighted
> reference implementation and testsuite that is the crux?

You're right, I've never heard of Sun making any threats about 3rd party
implementation, just binary distribution and limitations on source access.

Probably discussion of a specific *implementation* of java wasn't
appropriate to the comparison between win32/wine and .net/mono, although
as I was putting it in layman's terms (I don't know for who's benefit)
it seemed similar ...