Becoming a contributor... process questions

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Wed Jan 4 02:03:14 UTC 2006

Hi All!

I'm trying to become a fedora-extras contributor, but I find myself
becoming bogged down with a question as to the exact process.  I've
been working off the Extras/Contributors page, and have diligently
followed steps 1-6; reading, reviewing, putting up a sacrificial
package for review (<grin> -- BZ#175502).

Step 7 says "When the package is APPROVED by the reviewer, that person
will then sponsor you.   *First reviews for new packagers must be done
by sponsors.*"  I inquired if there was any special way I needed to go
about finding a sponsor, etc, on #fedora-extras, and was told that...

"Candidates are eligible for cvsextras access only after they have
approved packages in the Fedora Extras review process.  After this
point sponsors may choose to sponsor your cvsextras membership by
judging your knowledge and understanding of the packaging guidelines
and project processes."

...and later was advised to start reviewing packages and approving
them (if merited).

So, basically, I'm a touch confused as what I've been advised to do
deviates from the documented process at several points, and as a
result I'm not sure how to proceed and become a contributor.  I'm
perfectly willing to follow the process; I'm just not sure what it is
at this point and need some guidance.

Questions:
1.  Is there a way I can say "hey, would someone please sponsor me!"?
2.  Which process should I follow?  The documented one, or the advice
dispensed in #fedora-extras?
3.  If #2's answer is "the documented one", is there a way I should be
alerting those with sponsorship privs that this review request is out
there?
4.  If #2's answer is not "the documented one", could that be
clarified on the wiki page, and additionally what would I do if the
package was approved?  Hand it off to someone?

Again, I'm more than willing to follow the process, I just need some
clarification of how to go about doing that at this point :)

Thanks!
                                            -Chris