Becoming a contributor... process questions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jan 4 08:30:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 21:03 -0500, Chris Weyl wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I'm trying to become a fedora-extras contributor, but I find myself
> becoming bogged down with a question as to the exact process.  I've
> been working off the Extras/Contributors page, and have diligently
> followed steps 1-6; reading, reviewing, putting up a sacrificial
> package for review (<grin> -- BZ#175502).
>
> Step 7 says "When the package is APPROVED by the reviewer, that person
> will then sponsor you.   *First reviews for new packagers must be done
> by sponsors.*"  I inquired if there was any special way I needed to go
> about finding a sponsor, etc, on #fedora-extras, and was told that...
>
> "Candidates are eligible for cvsextras access only after they have
> approved packages in the Fedora Extras review process.  After this
> point sponsors may choose to sponsor your cvsextras membership by
> judging your knowledge and understanding of the packaging guidelines
> and project processes."
>
> ...and later was advised to start reviewing packages and approving
> them (if merited).
>
> So, basically, I'm a touch confused as what I've been advised to do
> deviates from the documented process at several points, and as a
> result I'm not sure how to proceed and become a contributor.  I'm
> perfectly willing to follow the process; I'm just not sure what it is
> at this point and need some guidance.
>
> Questions:
> 1.  Is there a way I can say "hey, would someone please sponsor me!"?
> 2.  Which process should I follow?  The documented one, or the advice
> dispensed in #fedora-extras?
> 3.  If #2's answer is "the documented one", is there a way I should be
> alerting those with sponsorship privs that this review request is out
> there?
> 4.  If #2's answer is not "the documented one", could that be
> clarified on the wiki page, and additionally what would I do if the
> package was approved?  Hand it off to someone?
>
> Again, I'm more than willing to follow the process, I just need some
> clarification of how to go about doing that at this point :)

I think the non-wiki advice should have been more like "offer review
comments (which anyone can do) for other new packages". Until you're a
contributor you can't approve a package (and hence can't do a "real"
review), but you can certainly go through the review checks and make
suggestions for improving packages. This activity should be noticed by
any potential sponsors.

Paul.