Packaging/Review Guidelines change

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jan 5 20:04:16 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> As approved by FESCO today, the following change to the Fedora Extras
> Packaging and Review Guidelines is now in effect:
>
> MUST: Packages must not own files or directories already owned by other
> packages. The rule of thumb here is that the first package to be
> installed should own the files or directories that other packages may
> rely upon.

What about directories owned by already existing packages, when the
already existing packages are not needed for the new package (and may
not be present on the target system) ?

Should a dep be added just to make sure the other existing package is
installed before the new one ?

Or do we allow packages to install files in directories which are not
owned by anything on the live system ?

Or should the shared directories be migrated to a central package like
filesystem (or the equivalent for extras) which will own them ?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot