RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jan 6 11:43:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:09 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:30 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > %if 0%{?variant:1}
> >     kmod_build %{variant}
> > %else
> >     %{?kmod_build_up:  kmod_build up}
> >     %{?kmod_build_smp: kmod_build smp}
> >     %{?kmod_build_xen-guest:kmod_build xen-guest}
> >     %{?kmod_build_xen-hypervisor:kmod_build xen-hypervisor}
> > %endif
>
> What if you want to build for, for example, up, smp and hugemem kernels?
> Do you have to build the same RPM twice?

Actually, if you want to build _exactly_ for those three, you'd need to
rebuild it three times (once for each like --define 'variant foo'), or
modify the specfile, removing xen-* and adding hugemem.

>  I'd like to see the handling of
> available variants get a little more cunning. The packager shouldn't
> need to know which variants are available

Very much agreed (and ditto for archs!), but no good solution has been
found so far, and IMNSHO this is not something that should block
starting shipping modules in Extras.  It's an implementation detail
which can be improved later if someone comes up with a good solution.

> Couldn't we make the variant list available somehow? Each kernel-devel
> package could include a text file telling the variants which are
> available for that architecture in that build, perhaps?

I'm not sure how such a text file could be used.  Lack of looping
constructs in specfiles doesn't help :(