RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 6 16:26:25 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, den 06.01.2006, 11:12 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:30 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > After looking at several kernel module proposals in the wiki and long
> > discussions on mailing lists and during IRC meetings the Fedora Extras
> > Steering Committee (also known as FESCo) agreed on a standard for
> > packaging kernel modules in Fedora Extras. Find the details below for
> > a last discussion on this mailing list before this proposal is being
> > used.
>
> We can special-case kernel modules in the Extras buildsystem if we need
> to,

We have to in any case -- we at least need to get

"-define kver foo"

passed to rpmbuild with this scheme. And it is still undecided how and
where to determinate "foo" in the buildsys.

> and we can likely take some of the pain away by auto-building the
> modules when a new kernel comes out somehow.

Yeah, that would be very nice.

>   We'd then mail the
> submitter if the auto-build failed.  It's not hard, just ugly.
>
> Where it gets more interesting is if you want to build an updated SRPM
> for a kernel that's not the most recent.

In the past most people involved in the discussions said: Only build for
the latest kernel.

> We can also try to special-case the up/smp/hugemem thing if it's a pain
> to do %foreach in the specfile.

Is there any example how "%foreach" works?

I still hope we can get the hardcoded variants up/smp/hugemem/xen-foo
somehow out of the spec file and passed as define by the buildsys to
rpmbuild, too.

>   We probably want to keep specfiles
> cleaner and move some of the complexity into the build system to keep
> the barrier-to-entry lower for packages themselves.

Don't make it to simple -- kernel-modules belong into the kernel ;-)

CU
thl