%{?dist}, recommended or optional?

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at farsiweb.info
Sun Jan 8 09:26:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 23:18 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Shall I go on? I still fail to see where you see a contradiction.

Perhaps it's just my bad English and the way different people think
about "contradiction". From what I'm getting here, it seems that the
disttag is really recommended. So I guess we should mention that it's
recommended in all pages it's discussed.

> Answer this question: If you want to release the same package for FC3, FC4
> and FC5, what package revisions would you give your three packages and
> future updates?

After all I found here, I guess I'll not use it for things like font
packages, where the dependencies aren't really there and people can keep
using the old version when they upgrade, but I'll use it when the
dependencies somehow depend on the version of Core. I guess I'll examine
the final RPM carefully for the exact dependencies to make sure I don't
miss details.

roozbeh