RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 10 20:38:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:31:03PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 16:00 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > And with the next release of Core the userland-package probably needs to
> > be dropped cause all parts (udev rules for example) often are a part of
> > core then. The question is: what obsoletes the package so it gets
> > removed? fedora-release?
>
> Shouldn't kmod packages should have a dependency on the userland one and
> it thus be pruned the usual way when old kernels get removed eg. through
> yum's "installonlyn" plugin?  BTW, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/176257

Having kmod package depend on the userland packages can cause problems.
I see that the rpm macro does set this up currently.

If I push out a new kernel, openafs version, and new kmod the old kmod
is not removed and requires a lesser version of openafs.  We have a
dependency conflict.

Is this something that the installonlyn or kernel-module plugin in Yum
will handle?  What about the philosophy of having a known good kernel as
a backup?

Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>