RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 10 21:01:42 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 10.01.2006, 15:38 -0500 schrieb Jack Neely:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:31:03PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 16:00 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >
> > > And with the next release of Core the userland-package probably needs to
> > > be dropped cause all parts (udev rules for example) often are a part of
> > > core then. The question is: what obsoletes the package so it gets
> > > removed? fedora-release?
> >
> > Shouldn't kmod packages should have a dependency on the userland one and
> > it thus be pruned the usual way when old kernels get removed eg. through
> > yum's "installonlyn" plugin?  BTW, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/176257
> >

> Having kmod package depend on the userland packages can cause problems.
> I see that the rpm macro does set this up currently.
>
> If I push out a new kernel, openafs version, and new kmod the old kmod
> is not removed and requires a lesser version of openafs.  We have a
> dependency conflict.

The newer userland-package probably won't work with the old
kernel-version anyway. But the question is correct: how do we solve
this? IMHO the plugin should uninstall older kernel-modules. Or should a
package "kmod-foo-1.2-1.2.6.14-1.1776_FC4" simply have a
Obsolets: kmod-foo < 1.2
Would yum in this case uninstall the older versions during update
(normally kmod-packages are installed and not updated, but in this case
we want it to update)?

/me wonders how long it will take until Ralf will say "Rebuild for all
known kernels"; maybe he is right in this aspect. But the problem needs
to be solved anyway.

> Is this something that the installonlyn or kernel-module plugin in Yum
> will handle?  What about the philosophy of having a known good kernel as
> a backup?

This afaik is a philosophy of having a known good kernel as a backup
*that at least boots the system*. That should be no problem because
kernel-modules in extras normally are not boot-critical.