Kernel module permutation problems

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 13 06:45:07 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, den 13.01.2006, 05:21 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 18:44 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 12.01.2006, 11:56 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> > > We can't possibly rebuild modules for every previously released kernel.[...]
> > Agreed. My vote: Only build for the newest one.
> > <insert complains from Ralf Corsepius here>; Answer: Ralf, let's build
> > only for the newest one in the beginning. If that doesn't work we can
> > still come back to this point and discuss it anew.
> Sorry, Thorsten, but building for the latest kernel only is not sufficient.
>
> Despite I can feel your pain, you *can't avoid* building at least for
> the (latest-1) kernel, because during updates to the latest kernel, a
> system's current rpmdb can contain dependencies on the current (==
> latest-1) kernel - An example for such kind of situations is you current
> nvidia kernel-module/glx packages.

nvidia kernel-module/glx packages use a complete different scheme, that
has a problem which could be solved this way, yes. But that is not what
we're talking about here.

> Without adding at least (latest-1) kernel related packages, even users
> tracking Fedora closely and updating frequently won't be able to update
> kernel-modules.
>
> Note: They won't be able to update from (latest-1) to (latest) on
> systems running (latest-1)!

Prove it please *with the new scheme*. Seems I'm to dumb to see the
problem (if there is any).

Either test it in a real world situation and show me the error or
*precisely* describe why or where yum/rpm would fail (I know that you
know yum/rpm enough to do that).