GPG key really needed?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 14 03:18:59 UTC 2006

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out what good uploading a GPG key into the
accounts system is.  Here's how I see it:

1.  The only thing it's used for is potentially signing the CLA.  I say
potentially because both

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem/RequestCLA

and

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem

say "You can sign the CLA".  If it's required, we should change it to
"must sign the CLA".

2.  Even if 1) is done, we don't use GPG keys for anything else.  We
don't sign packages with them.

Using them to sign emails is fine, but it's not required.  And there is
no listing of contributors and their GPG keys so finding a users GPG key
has to be done via searches on key servers anyway.

So...  is it really needed?  Or maybe a better question is can we make
it more useful somehow?

josh