a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

Chris Chabot chabotc at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 15 08:56:36 UTC 2006

I agree, in my enthusiasm for this idea i don't have any solutions for
the spam or moderation such a thing could require.

But think about it, one of the current challenges is to build a
energetic community, and while engineering is one part of that community
(the role we forfill and love to partake in), there's so many more users
out there of fedora (-extra's), and their not so at home at kernel or
gnome or fedora mailing lists and project pages and technical
information.

How do we bind them to a 'fedora' feeling? How do we engage them,
interest them, let them become more then a 'user' but become a part of a
community where they have been helped, and in turn help others!

Pretty shiny interfaces to our repo data and the information we do have
is one step in that process, but it doesn't complete the process.. Some
kind of meeting ground where the initial seeds of contribution and
assistance and that 'community' feeling can grow.

We focus a lot on the engineering part, and we do so pretty well (i
think), that's something we probably inherited from RedHat, they always
have had a knack for great engineering but a little bit less at dressing
it up :-)

I think if you take a look at others in 'our market', and what
newcommers make the biggest splashes (such as umbutu?) then looks,
forums, wiki's, friendly usable places for not so hard core engineering
type people combined with friendly consistent looks are what drive that
enthusiasm, and lead to many other positive things.

So while i agree that maybe Wiki pages isn't the best solution for this
challenge (i was just shouting some ideas from the top of my head),
there is a void to be filled out there i think, something we could
improve upon, and Fedora Extra's and its community is a great place for
it to start!

Anyhow thats just some morning ramblings before my first cup of coffee,
maybe after coffee i will feel differently about this, but i don't
expect too :-)

	-- Chris Chabot