a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

Andreas Bierfert andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de
Sun Jan 15 21:47:46 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> my perfect search interface is:
>
> search:________________________ [submit]
>
> and _maybe_ just _maybe_ having a way of telling it what release to
> search (3, 4, 5, etc, etc)

Hey since when can you read my mind ;)

That is really what I would like to have for the normal searches (adding a
button for advanced search options always is possible as well).

Here is what I tought about (even before it came up on the list now):

Repoview on the mirrors is great. I is easy to use, static and good enough to
find your way around on a mirror. What I would like to see for FC + FE (and
livna ;) ) is a webportal which offers searches and a nice view on things.

Form the tech side I would like it to be part dynamic part static, not use yum
in any way (just the repodata files) and besides LAMP not require anything on
the server side.

The way I would like it to work is something like this: Have a dbms with a
special layed out database which gets updated with package information on each
push. The webportal will then work with this database to create its dynamic
pages on request.

As opposed to repoview (am I correct here?) I want it to maybe view a nice shiny
table for the supported arches also have the requires, description, summary, evr
and so on, have a download link, information on how to install this special
package (with yum), links to bugzilla to file bug reports and all the nice and
nifty features one can think of.

An the user side everything should be easy to use, have a nice layout (css
based) and maybe even support some level of wcag while at it.

For developers maybe some information on how to checkout this module from cvs
and so on...

I will get working asap. As this is a community project comments and suggestions
will of course be discarded :P

- - Andreas

- --
Andreas Bierfert               | http://awbsworld.de      | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de | http://lowlatency.de     | signed/encrypted
phone: +49 2402 102373         | cell: +49 172 9789968    | mail preferred